The last time I checked, there is, or rather there used to be, a Free Press in America. But now, after reading certain publications and certain recorded statements, I am not so sure any more. In Britain, we are used by now to the BBC, along with many of the newspapers, in their website pages and news bulletins, removing any hint of the possibility of the ethnic origin or religious make-up of, say, a rapist, a thief or a terrorist, except when the perpetrator is WHITE. They are referred to as ‘of Asian extraction’, or ‘Algerian-born British man’; etc., etc.. The fact that 99.99% are called Mohamed, or some variation on that particular paeadophile’s name, makes no difference. It remains unsaid and unacknowledged that they are Muslim.
But I still had high hopes for ‘the Land of the Free’. After all, you’ve got a bloody Constitution, written down and everything, which says Freedom of Speech is the freedom to speak without censorship or limitation.
So when a Buffalo newspaper describes a multiple drive-by shooting in a Black neighbourhood, it included a series of facts.
- One of the dead victims was on probation and forbidden from being inside any establishment serving alcohol.
- Two of the eight who were shot served state prison time on weapons or assault charges.
- Five are convicted felons.
- Six have been arrested by Buffalo police since 2008.
Various prominent Black citizens took it upon themselves to charge the newspaper editor with stirring up racial tension, as the shootings were presumed to be random.
But a deeper investigation of the records of the injured and dead discovered that:-
- James Robbs Jr., 27, who served more than a year in prison for felony attempted assault, has a felony case pending after he was arrested July 2 with his father, James Sr., 49, for weapons and drug possession. Buffalo narcotics detectives raided a Schuele Street address and allegedly uncovered a loaded .38-caliber revolver, a rifle, marijuana, and crack cocaine residue, as well as scales and packaging material. Robbs was sentenced to prison in 2001 after he shot at another man but missed and shot an innocent bystander, a 51-year-old woman, in the ankle. Shortly after the shooting, an eyewitness led police to where Robbs was playing basketball.
- Tillman Ward, 27, also has a felony case pending against him for weapons possession after authorities apprehended him at a July 6 traffic stop and discovered an indictment warrant accusing him of possessing a loaded firearm.
- Tiffany Wilhite, 31, who was killed in the massacre outside City Grill, was serving a five-year sentence of probation for felony reckless endangerment in connection with a January 2009 fight outside a Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood bar where she used her Jeep Cherokee to run down four women, breaking one of the victim’s pelvis in four places.
- Willie R. McCaa III, 26, who was also killed, had survived a March 2008 shooting outside an East Side store. He was scheduled for trial last week in State Supreme Court on charges he and another man robbed a man at gunpoint in May 2008 at Kensington Avenue and Godfrey Street.Demario L. Vass, 30, remains in critical condition in Erie County Medical Center with a gunshot wound to his head. Vass served five years’ probation for a felony drug conviction in August 2001. He was also arrested on misdemeanor drug charges in January 2008 for allegedly having marijuana as well as packaging and scales. The disposition of that case was unknown.
- Shamar Davis, 30, served eight months in jail in 2004 after being convicted of felony attempted criminal possession of a weapon. Davis was caught with a 9mm gun during a New Year’s Day 2003 traffic stop shortly after police responded to the former Sensationz nightclub for a 4 a.m. shooting. Records show Davis has steered clear of trouble since then, however, except for a minor brush with the law in April 2006.
- Shawn-Tia McNeil, who would be 28 today had she survived the attack, was sentenced to a conditional discharge for a 2002 misdemeanor assault. But, according to police records, she was arrested in November 2004 for an alleged felony assault with a baseball bat. The disposition of that case was not known.
A public meeting was held, and the News Editor was requested to attend. Many in the crowd expressed outrage that the police records of the shooting victims were reported at all. They called the report a gross departure from how The News traditionally treats crime victims and that it was disrespectful to the victims, their families and the African-American community.
Among statements made during the meeting were “”I feel that we were victimized twice,” said Cheryl Stevens, mother-in-law of Danyelle Mackin, one four victims who was killed in the shooting. Another made was “”What you did to us was you poured salt on the wounds that had not even healed. So, I’m asking — and this is for all the families — we want an apology,” added Stevens.
So the Black so-called Community not only wants and requires all knowledge of the colour of the dead not to be reported, it also wants an apology from the Editor for stating the truth, which was the colourful and lengthy criminal records of those same victims.
General population in America is White………..80% Black and Hispanic………………15%
The prison population in America is White…..33% Black and Hispanic………………61%.