Reasons why the death penalty had to be abolished:-
- The Public mood was against Capital Punishment.
- There had been at least three cases where the dead man was later proved to be innocent.
- The ‘full-term’ life sentence behind bars was deemed to be sufficient punishment
- No-one wished to act as the Public Executioner
- Many felt that, however bad or monstrous the crime, death was too great a punishment.
- Using both Old and New Testaments as guidance, the opponents claimed that retribution is wrong.
Reasons why the Death Penalty should be reintroduced:-